OUR HISTORY … YESTERDAY AND TODAY
Rhinebeck Reformed Church was founded in 1731 by the Dutch who settled Dutchess County, New York.
Here, wealthy founders of the town of Rhinebeck, farmers, merchants, slaves and families worshiped together in the original building, which was constructed in 1731. In later years, soldiers of the Revolutionary War worshiped here, across the street from the former training grounds of the army of George Washington.
In the early 1800′s the original building needed to be replaced and the present structure was erected by 1808. One will note that the south and west facades are brick and the north and east are constructed from stone. When the structure of the church was being planned there were members who could not afford to donate funds to buy brick, so it was decided that those who were able would buy bricks, and those who did not have the means would bring stones gathered from their fields and farms.
Together these people used brick, stone and mortar to construct their house of worship. In using both the stone and the brick, all the members of the church were represented; an illustration of the diversity of the community during that period of time as well.
Today Rhinebeck still has a diverse population of “bricks and stones.” As in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, Rhinebeck Reformed Church’s membership still comes from a variety of backgrounds, melding together like the stone, brick and mortar of the church structure.
The mortar that holds our church together is love, faith, and hope.
Love for God and for each other.
Hope that through our missions and caring for each other, we will make a difference.
As we reach out to those in need at home and around the world, we are also striving to be a warm, welcoming and nurturing place for all people in and around the community of Rhinebeck.
We are a member congregation of the Reformed Church in America (RCA), a Protestant denomination of the Christian Church. Our Pastor is Luis Perez.